Due to some facility scheduling conflicts tonight’s (Nov. 14) Photo Review will be held in person at: The Bill Johnson Community Activity Building located in the Roswell Area Park at 10495 Woodstock Rd, Roswell, GA 30075
Meeting location is in the Community Activity Conference Room. Drive into the park on Roswell Area Park Drive. Take the first right turn, drive up a hill past the tennis courts, the building will be on your left. See map below. Doors open at 6:00PM, Announcements at 6:45, Photo Review at 7:00.
I apologize for the inconvenience and late notice, but would still love to have you join us!.
Mike Lerch, President Roswell Photographic Society.
Theme (print and digital): Pets
Current 2023 RPS members are allowed to submit one digital image for review and one print image for review (no frames but stiff enough to display on an easel). The image may not be older than 24 months at the time of the review. Only members may submit images and you must be present for your image to earn an award.
Time: Doors Open at 6:00 PM; Social Time 6:00-6:45; Announcement 6:45-7:00; Review 7:00PM
Location: See notice above.
Deadline to Submit: Sunday November 12, 2023 – 11:59 PM (November 10th preferred)
Judge: John Mariana
About our judge: John Mariana
John Mariana is a renowned photographer and popular educator of photography expertise. He has conduced numerous workshops across the United States as well as volunteering time to speak at functions, museums and prominent photography groups. John is regularly sought by professional photographers for private mentoring. In 1980 John began using photography in connection with his art background to create color images. By 1984, large format black and white prints became his specialty. John’s early artistic training combined with photography gives his images a unique visual and emotional presentation. Today, John makes photos in digital format to bring a new and different look to his work with primary focus on his unique color palette with visual and emotional presentation. He has won numerous awards for his large print images and regularly donates his work and talents to non-profit endeavors.
John was president of the Chicago Area Camera Clubs Association in 1990. This organization consisted of 40 clubs in the greater Chicago metropolitan area. From 1986 through 1990 John was Chairman of the Chicago Area Photographic School. He co-founded the not-for-profit American Photographic Academy dedicated to Education In The Art Of Photography and founded the ambient light workshops to provide in-the-field and darkroom education. John currently serves as a founding member and Vice-President of the Booth Photography Guild in Cartersville, Georgia.
John’s style, presentation and fine art print quality has been and is today greatly influenced by Ansel Adams’ style and techniques for creating black and white prints. His further training with well know photographers; John Sexton (Ansel Adams’ assistant), Bruce Barnbaum, Howard Bond and Dan Anderson continues to influence John’s creative photography.
His first book, Visions of Scotland, was published in 2008 with dramatic images of churches, abbeys, castles and the whimsical aspects of Scottish life. Presented as a photographic guide through the South Borderlands and the Highlands, it was followed by, Visions of Italy, a beautiful fine art book with impressive images of Venice, Florence Tuscany and Rome.
- Yosemite – Gates of the Valley and El Capitan prints are in permanent collection of Booth Art Museum
- Three Yosemite prints exhibited in the Booth Art Museum 2016, Ansel Adams Before and After
- One of the founders of the Booth Photography Guild
- President of the Chicago Area Camera Clubs Association in 1990. This organization consisted of 40 clubs in the greater Chicago metropolitan area.
- Chairman of the Chicago Area Photographic School – 1986 to 1990.
- Co-founded the not-for-profit American Photographic Academy dedicated to Education In The Art Of Photography
- Founded the Ambient Light Workshops to provide in-the-field education.
- Curated the Artistic Reality Exhibit – Booth Art Museum
- Curated the Fine Art Photography Exhibit – Marietta Cobb Museum of Art
FINE ART BOOKS
- Visions of Scotland, 85 pages published in 2008 with dramatic images of churches, abbeys, castles and the whimsical aspects of Scottish life. Presented as a photographic guide through the South Borderlands and the Highlands.
- Visions of Italy, 135 pages published in 2008, a beautiful fine art book with impressive images of Venice, Florence, Tuscany and Rome.
FINE ART TECHNIQUE BOOKS
- FINE ART TECHNIQUES VOLUME 2 – PHOTOSHOP FOR IMAGES TO CREATE FINE ART PTINTS
- FINE ART TECHNIQUES VOLUME 3 – PHOTOSHOP TECHNIQUES FOR ARTISTICT EFFECTS
- FINE ART TECHNIQUES VOLUME 4 – INTERMEDIATE, LAYERS MASKS AND SELECTIONS
- FINE ART TECHNIQUES VOLUME 5 – DXO SILVER EFEX PRO, FOR BLACK AND WHITE
- FINE ART TECHNIQUES VOLUME 8 – PHOTOSHP SPECIAL ENHANCEMENTS
- COSTA RICA – Central and coastal areas including volcanos.
- YOSEMITE – BODIE GHOST TOWN – MONOLAKE, Northern California and the Sierra Mountains
- SMOKY MOUNTAINS SPRING – WATERFALLS AND 1900 RUINS
- SMOKY MOUNTAINS FALL – AUTUMN COLOR
- MONUMENT VALLEY – MESA VERDE – SHIPROCK, Four corners, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico.
- THE SOUTHWEST EXPERIENCE, Durango, Taos, Santa Fe, Ghost Ranch, the Great Sand Dunes, Chaco Canyon
- MESA VERDE ANASAZI RUINS AND BISTI WILDERNESS
- CHACO CANYON – Native American ruins and artifacts